Professional Artist Criteria
This definition is from artsNB. http://www.artsnb.ca/pdf/DESC_CR_E.pdf
A Professional Artist:
- Is an individual who has specialized training in an artistic discipline (not necessarily in academic institutions), and who is recognized as such by her or his peers (artists working in the same artistic discipline), who is committed to devoting more time to the artistic activity if financially feasible, and who has a history of public presentation in a professional context.
- Practices an art and offers services in exchange for remuneration as a creator, as a performer, or as a director in one or more of the following arts disciplines: theatre, dance, music, visual arts, literary arts, craft, or media arts.
To qualify as a Professioanl Artist, check 3 of the following criteria, including ONE of those set out in paragraphs 1, 2, 3, or 4:
1. The artist receives or has received remuneration for works, notably in the form of sales, royalties, commissions, fees, residuals, grants, or awards that can reasonably be considered an integral part of the income that the artist earns from his/her professional activity;
2. The artist has made earnings or suffered losses resulting from the exploitation of his/her works and corresponding to the whole of his/her artistic career;
3. The artist has received tokens of professional recognition from the public or peers, notably honorable mentions, awards, bursaries, or critical attention in the media for his/her work;
4. The artist has earned a degree, diploma or certificate in fine arts or creative writing from a recognized institution;
5. The artist has presented works to the public through exhibitions, performing arts activities, publications in book form or in periodicals, invited readings, production and/or broadcast of creative scripts by theatre, radio, or television, showings, or any other means corresponding to the nature of the works;
6. The artist is represented by an art dealer, a publisher, an agent, or other similar representative, depending on the nature of his/her activity;
7. The artist has signed a service contract with a producer;
8. The artist devotes a reasonable percentage of his/her professional activity to promoting and marketing works, attending auditions, seeking patrons or agents, submitting work to publishers, magazines, theatres, radio, and television, and other similar efforts, depending on the nature of his/her activities.