What’s the 506?
The 506: Creative Placemaking in New Brunswick was a dynamic, diverse and innovative forum that brought together stakeholders and thought leaders who want to explore Creative Placemaking, an evolving concept that is being adopted by communities around the world to intentionally leverage the power of arts and culture to make them stronger, and more successful. Hosted by ArtsLink NB, the forum is a key opportunity to learn, network, debate and discuss Creative Placemaking in the New Brunswick context, to explore how we might better engage art, culture and creativity as catalysts for community vibrancy, sustainability, prosperity and inclusiveness.
• To introduce the concept of Creative Placemaking in New Brunswick, and instigate discussion about its potential here.
• To bring together a diverse range of stakeholders around the idea of Creative Placemaking in New Brunswick
• To identify opportunities to advance the arts in New Brunswick.
• To unite the regional arts community and cultivate new relationships and partnerships.
• To increase awareness, understanding and appreciation of how arts and culture and can be better utilized to benefit communities
• To facilitate growth and prosperity– socially, economically, artistically and culturally
Friday, Nov. 14,2014, 6:30-8:30 pm: Arts Mixer with cocktails and hors d’oeuvres. Featuring ‘Tropos,’ a multidiscinplinary work by Saint John’s own Connection Dance Works, Andrew Miller (music) and Deanna Musgrave (painting).
Saturday, 9 am- 4 pm: A full day of dynamic, interactive programming.
8:30 am.: Registration opens.
9 am: Opening remarks.
9:15 am: Fredericton musician Joel LeBlanc leads a group sound-choir exercise.
9:45-11 am: The 411: A series of snappy presentations by Creative Placemakers in New Brunswick, including: Sean Dunbar of Picaroons; Natalie Sappier, Aboriginal Outreach Officer, artsnb; Matt Williston and Lisa Griffin: L’Art ici SVP Art in Public Spaces, Moncton; and Linda Rae Dornan: Renaissance Sackville, and Gracen Johnson: Front Doors Project.
11-11:15 am: Break.
11:15 am-noon: Keynote address, Tim Jones, CEO, Artscape. Q & A to follow.
1230-1:45 pm: ArtsLink AGM
1:45-2 pm: Break.
2-3:30 pm: The 911: Creative Placemaking SOS. A peer-supported session to help provide input and ideas on creative placemaking projects that are in development.